Maya Wristlet & a new machine

   I knew once I started making bags, at some point I would need a new sewing machine. One that could handle more than two thin layers of vinyl at a time. I figured once I sold enough of my makes and saved enough (ya know when I’m not buying all the cute bag hardware and expensive custom fabrics 😂) then I could jump for a better machine. Maybe even an industrial ::drool::. Best laid plans right? Right before I was going to start my next project, I cleaned my machine as usual (very important! Don’t slack on this kids) and it decided it didn’t want to act right. My husband and I took it completely apart and couldn’t figure it out. The next day I went to a local quilt shop and brought home this beauty — the Viking Opal 670.

Isn’t she pretty?? She’s not an industrial machine but definitely has more features than my old machine and handles heavy fabrics so much better! So once I was equipped again to actually sew, I dove in to the The Maya Wristlet from Justyna Thandmade


This pattern is so beautiful and thought out! There are no pattern pieces to print which is nice if you don’t have access to a printer or ran out of ink! All the measurements are given to you which makes cutting really easy. There is a front cell phone slip pocket with a snap which is adorable and the way it is put together, looks so professional! I had never used a snap before. Woohoo for new things! I purchased the snaps on Amazon which are the ones Jess also suggests in her tutorial
   I decided to make 3 different versions and I love them all! The dimple vinyl I used on the Stitch one I found hard to sew with even with a Teflon foot 😢 I’m hoping it was user error and me figuring out my new machine that made it more difficult cuz that vinyl is so beautiful! 
    I LOVE that extended zipper!! It makes it so easy to get any and every thing in your bag when opened. The one thing I will say is for some reason I thought if I beefed up that little zipper end tab it would look better. I added some craft fuse to those pieces. Don’t do this. LOL trying to turn that piece while attached to the zipper nearly gave me carpal tunnel because of my amazing choice there 😂🤦🏻‍♀️ 
   Once you get the front panel and the back zip (which again is so freaking cute!) of these babies done putting the rest of them together takes no time at all. I highly recommend this pattern (Justyna is such a gifted pattern designer and her shop is FILLED with amazing patterns that everyone needs to try)! 







Pattern: the Maya wristlet by Justyna Thandmade 
baby Yoda and Belle fabric: ArtSnap Fabrics
stitch fabric: SugoiShimmerShop on Etsy
Cork fabric: Joanns
Dimole vinyl: MyPunkBroidery search “dimple” 
Zipper tapes and pulls (stitch and Gogru) : Sallie Tomato (belle)- Wizardry Stitchery & crafts

Comments