Platform 9 3/4: the Jen n Jess Saga continues

I’m giving up on chapter titles because already I can’t keep the numbers straight 🤪

For this chapter (dang it, old dog new tricks) I was lucky enough to be gifted some GAHHHorgeous Harry Potter inspired cotton Lycra from Adrienne over at Fabric Mail. This print is so vibrant and I had to stop myself from booking a trip to Universal’s Wizarding World just looking at it! After looking at all the tutorials again on the Oklaroots YouTube Channel I decided this fabric needed to become a Teloujay crossbody by Country Cow Designs

Now it’s important to note that, if you’re new to making bags, yes you absolutely can use knit fabric for bags BUT you have to interface it with a woven interfacing such as Pellon SF101.

moving on...

The Teloujay is a very popular pattern and for good reason. The pattern is easy to follow even without Jess’s tutorial but I’m a very visual leaner and I find Jess’s videos calming ☺️. The best part of this pattern is that the pattern designer designed the lining already graded in! I mean come onnnn this is pretty awesome! I 100% did not miss sewing a seam allowance that was 3/8”->5/8”->3/8”. Genius. I finished this bag in 3 hours! New record for a beautiful bag! 

I paired this magical print with my very first purchase of Cracked Disco Night vinyl from My PunkBroidery. Their vinyl is fantastic!! Not only did I love it, but more importantly, my machine loved it! Victory dance! I also used some Waterproof canvas for the lining and interior zipper pocket which I immediately got nervous about since Jess seemed to have a tough time with it for the welt pocket to install the zipper. Thankfully I found it really easy-easier than even quilt cotton since it stayed together pretty well. Painters tape works wonders to hold the lining over the zipper as you sew that lining pocket FYI 😉. And since my labels haven’t come yet I used a pretty rainbow “Handmade” label and tried my hand at a Strap anchor (both from Emmaline Bags) and I couldn’t love them more! 

Easy to construct bag and beautiful fabrics. Really what more could you ask for? A glass of Butterbeer.... Yea that would be nice. 
HP fabric from Fabric Mail
waterproof canvas: Amazon
metal bag tag and strap anchors: Emmaline Bags
HP zipper pull: Zor-Elle Fabrics

Comments