Oh my! Divina

I know what you’re thinking. It’s been a whole lot of hot minutes since I posted last. I know! I’m sorry! Truth is I’ve been having a hard time mentally and emotionally lately. If you’re new here (thanks for joining!), you probably don’t know that my family and I moved from the Chicago suburbs to rural Montana in October. I’m a very social person. I love people! I went from being the house that had at least 2-3 extra kids in it (on top of my 2) or listening to my kids run around and play with the kids in the neighborhood, to being very secluded and not knowing anyone. Despite our gorgeous views of the Tobacco Root Mountains- my back drop for most of my pictures- this move has pushed me into a deep ebb and flow depression. When that happens I throw myself into sewing. It is definitely my therapy! This past month that depression has creeped in again. My kids started back in school (we homeschooled the first half of the year) and while I’m so happy they are finally around other kids and making friends, I am alone 7 hours of the day and that loneliness is deafening. I also have a hard time talking about all of this. So I steered away from blogging and just focused on sewing. The new projects I’ve made are piling up and I feel guilty about not blogging about them cuz they’re so good! So if you’ve read this far, thank you for reading! Now let’s get into the good stuff!

  Today I’m gonna talk about a bag that is so boutique worthy it really impressed me! Introducing The Divina Tote and Handbag by Bagstock Designs.

Gorg right?! This was my first time using purse feet and I LOVE THEM! I used screw in purse feet from Zor-Elle Fabrics. For some reason I couldn’t get them to screw in very far so I think next time I will use the feet with prongs but even still they are very secure. 
I used this Ariel print cotton woven and some teal marine vinyl both from Joann fabrics and some waterproof canvas for the straps and lining which I got off Amazon. 
There are so many favorite parts of this bag! The first of which is this front panel. Those two zippered pockets are so unique and beautiful! I used zipper tape and Minnie ear pulls both from Wizardry Stitchery & Crafts and I love how they look on this front! I also modified how that front panel is put together. Instead of cutting two separate pieces of zipper tape and tabs and attaching them in the middle, I cheated a bit! I cut one 19” piece of zipper tape and two zipper tabs for the middle. I folded in the two short ends of the tab and created a zipper sandwich right in the middle of the tape. Tab wrong side up, zipper right side up, tab right side up, clipped in place and top stitched on both the short ends of the exposed tab. This worked out really nicely and eliminated a lot of steps and time in my opinion. 
Aside from this glorious exterior panel, the inside of the bag is just as stunning and thoughtful! Two slip pockets on the left and right sides and two inner mini slip pockets for PENS! If you’re anything like me those pen slots will eliminate your pens being sucked into the black pit that tends to magically form in every purse. And there is an interior zipper pocket on the opposite lining panel. 
Possibly the best feature about this bag is the options it gives you. I made the handbag size but you also get the tote size with the pattern and, AND, you can wear it as a shoulder bag with those short straps or use it as a crossbody or longer shoulder bag with the side tabs and longer strap. I think that’s so cool! And lastly, that recessed zipper with the zipper end sewed up so beautifully and really adds another extra special sumpin sumpin here.  Versatility, practicality AND beautiful! I mean you can’t ask for more amiright???
There was not a single step of this pattern that gave me issues which is always such a plus! My domestic Viking Opal 670 sewed through the vinyl and Waterproof canvas easily and left me feeling so accomplished at the end! I even got to use my new tool- my seam ripper stiletto combo tool I got from Beautified Essentials on Etsy. 
Isn’t it purrrrdy?! My inner 90s kid is so in love with it!  Jill, the shop owner, makes these with clay! Love that aspect- always wanted to work with clay but was never good at it 😂 it shipped really quick and Jill was very communicative and helpful!  the stiletto portion really helped with the curves on this bag! Highly recommend a stiletto for this bag! 
I also started up a website to sell my makes! minnieinthemountains.com and this lovely bag is still awaiting her forever home. 
So that’s it for this edition. Thank you all for your support in my journey of bag making. This sewing community and all of you give me more strength than I could ever express and I couldn’t be more grateful! 




Comments

  1. Thanks for reviewing my seam ripper. I'm impressed with you sewing skills- I wish I would sew as well as you. Here is a link to my page if anyone else would like my rippers: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeautifiedEssentials?ref=nla_listing_details

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For some reason blogger wouldn’t let me link your shop :( I love this tool ❤️❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment