Jen n Jess: chapter 2 &3: The Sunshine Crossbody and the Worsley Wallet




 Let’s start these chapters with the success story of the two: The Sunshine Crossbody by Bagstock Patterns. This is another *free* pattern! Woop woop! We love free! I found it to be very beginner friendly and it makes a beautiful end result. I used this awesome Disney Villain fabric from Joann and this black glitter vinyl also from Joann. Remember to either use a Teflon foot when sewing vinyl OR if you’re like me and don’t have a Teflon foot stick a piece of scotch take to the bottom of which ever presser foot you’re using (yes even to your zipper foot for top stitching on that vinyl)!

I decided to do a strap with vinyl on one side and fabric on the other to make it reversible and to take some of the pressure off the machine when it came to putting on the swivel hooks. It took a little longer but I LOVE it! 

My zippers and pulls are from Wizardry Stitchery & Crafts and the Rainbow Chicago screws and the Handmade plate are from Emmaline Bags. 




Now, let’s talk about the next project, the one that I’m not so proud of- it was bound to happen really— the Worsley Wallet by Spencer Ogg





 I want to note that the pattern is AMAZING- well written and very beginner friendly and Jess’s video matches. The less than loved result came 100% from me and had nothing to do with the pattern. 
Everything started off completely awesome-in fact I was really super excited about it. The problem started when it came to putting in that pretty strap keeper (I have these on order but didn’t want to wait). I had found a bag from Goodwill with a strap keeper that I figured I could repurpose so I went with that- what could go wrong right? 🀦🏻‍♀️ Punched the holes put it in- great. Only it was slightly too wide for my strap so it wouldn’t stay in place and I positioned it too low. Nope, didn’t like, so took it out. Now to cover the holes. Patch of vinyl to the rescue. Cool looks ok. I decided to try a magnetic snap instead so I inserted the female part over the vinyl patch


I was still happy at this point. Now to insert the male end but where...? The strap! Put it in (which was not so fun) and it worked but there was no way to cover the back of the snap that was exposed. So I cut the strap, tucked it under and sewed it to the top of the wallet. Added the male end to the top of the body and good albeit crooked. 

I had to fold the wallet to a smaller size to get the snaps to match but that’s ok...right? 🀦🏻‍♀️🀦🏻‍♀️🀦🏻‍♀️ I followed the directions and all was still coming together ok till I came to the gusset installation not to mention that thanks to the snap debacle I missed the closing of the bottom edge of the body which is the closing of the whole thing. 
The gussets were, you guessed it, too long since I made the wallet smaller so I had to cut those down. Then I went to add the zip pocket and, once again, it was too long too to had to fix that baby. Luckily I fixed everything and sewed it all together- this was the part I realized I forgot to close the darn bottom but couldn’t do it on my machine since the gussets were in. I hand stitched it, cussing at myself the whole time. 
The end result isn’t horrible but it’s not at all to my standards. I definitely will revisit this pattern because I really do love it! The moral of the story here is if you repurpose hardware make sure it’s the correct sizes before you install cuz that snowball effect WILL happen. Measure twice, cut once- or in this case measure twice, do it right the first time! 


On to the next project...

Fabric from Joann for Sunshine and from a BST for Worsley
Patterns: the Sunshine Crossbody from Bagstock Patterns and The Worsley Wallet from Spencer Ogg

Comments