Jen n Jess chapter...5 &6...?

It’s bad that I’m only 5 posts in and I’m already clumping these together and falling behind πŸ˜”πŸ€¦πŸ»‍♀️ Truth is I’m not a blogger. My whole reason for wanting to even write this blog is because I’m a newbie bag sewer wanting to give the real to anyone wanting to hear it. I don’t have a fancy machine (SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine with 600-Stitches, Electronic Auto Pilot Mode, Extension Table and Bonus Accessories, Perfect for Customizing Projects amazon.com) that I got for WAYYY cheaper thanks to Black Friday and my bag hardware collection is one that I scrimp and save to get. I find myself much like the preverbal dog and squirrel situation when it comes to this blog. I go to sit down and write and ping! Jess posted a new tutorial! Or retail for this hardware/fabric/ Shop Oklaroots (gosh dang!) shop! SQUIRREL!!!! So bare with me cuz I really do want to want to share what I learned with all of you as I make my way through the Oklaroots YouTube Channel

Onward friends. 

Chapter 5 is the Merida Drawstring Backpack by IThinkSew. My daughter claimed this pattern before I could even fully show her what it was! Not complicated, lightweight, quick...I was sold. Add some Harry Potter fabric and we were planning our trip to Universal πŸ˜‚ (I WISH!) I purchased the Paracord Jess suggested in her Tutorial and while I will say the quality is great and there are a lot of colors, any bundle of one color is NOT ENOUGH for the 80”x2 straps πŸ˜” (which I mean I should’ve read the description which states that each color is 10’ or 120” not the needed 160”) thankfully my daughter doesn’t like her backpacks to sit low so this worked and now the kids can make some fun bracelets or something with the rest πŸ˜‚

This pattern comes together very quickly and easily. The only problem I had was with the welt pocket in the lining and positioning the zipper (which usually takes me 10 hours any way no matter what. Ok not that long but close). Go grab this pattern cuz it is easy peasy, well written and does not disappoint in the end! 





I posted this in the Oklaroots Fb group, but does anyone else have the most trouble with more “simple” patterns?? It’s like math in school...algebra? Easy. Trig? Got it! Subtracting zeroes??? Uhhhhhh anyone got a calculator??? 
This pouch (I made 2 since simple right?) turned out super adorbs but holy cripes I had a block with it 🀦🏻‍♀️ I let all the colors and labels for the pieces intimidate me from the get go and the mistakes flowed. Let’s just say pay attention to which end you’re sewing the zipper tab on to before it comes time to assemble. Thanks captain seam ripper! Maybe it was the fact that it was 1am and I was sewing (and NOT with a glass of wine- that was probably the real problem)! 
Anyway, I do think newbie sewers should try this pouch cuz it really is quick and beautiful! Just don’t use really sticky vinyl like I did in the NBC one-it didn’t help any. 


Patterns: the Merida drawstring backpack from IThinkSew (link above) and the quick and fun zipper pouch from Sewn ideas (link above)
all HP fabric from Joanns, Up and NBC sally scrap fabric from ArtSnap Fabrics, main NBC fabric from SugoiShimmerShop on Etsy. All zippers and pulls are from Wizardry Stitchery & Crafts




Comments